Harm Reduction Syringe Service Program
What is it?
A set of practical strategies and ideas aimed at reducing negative consequences associated with drug use.
What is a Harm Reduction Syringe Service Program (HRSSP)?
HRSSPs are community-based programs that provide access to sterile needles and syringes, safe disposal of used syringes, and other comprehensive harm reduction services.
Harm Reduction Syringe Service Program (HRSSP) Principles
- A commitment to respecting the human rights of people who use drugs
- A commitment to practices that are based on scientific evidence.
- A commitment to social justice and collaborating with community partners
- A commitment to reducing the impact of stigma related to drug use
- A commitment to encourage participant involvement on the path to recovery
What can a HRSSP do?
- Infectious disease testing (HIV and Hepatitis C)
- Referral for other clinical services such as STD testing
- Referral to substance use treatment
- Referral to medical care, mental health services, and other support services
- Referral to community agencies to assist with basic needs (e.g. food and shelter)
- Vaccines for diseases like Hepatitis A
- Access to Narcan
Lincoln Trail District Health Department currently operates two HRSSPs:
Nelson County HRSSP
Nelson County Health Center
325 S. Third St., Bardstown, KY 40004
Hours of Operation: Monday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm
Marion County HRSSP
Marion County Health Center
516 N. Spalding Ave., Lebanon, KY 40033
Hours of Operation: Wednesdays from 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm
View the latest food inspection scores for restaurants near you with our interactive map.
Contact one of our six health care centers. Check for hours of operation, emergency contact information, and locations.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Become a member of our Lincoln Trail District Health Department team. View our available career and internship openings.